Riding buses and trains in Connecticut is now FREE for most students at participating U-Pass CT schools! The cost of the program is already included in your student fees, so all you need is your U-Pass CT and your valid student ID and you’re on your way. Use yours TODAY!
Schools participating in the U-Pass CT program include:
- Asnuntuck Community College, Enfield
- Capital Community College, Hartford
- Gateway Community College, New Haven
- Housatonic Community College, Bridgeport
- Manchester Community College, Manchester
- Middlesex Community College, Middletown
- Norwalk Community College, Norwalk
- Three Rivers Community College, Norwich
- Tunxis Community College, Farmington
- Central CT State University, New Britain
- Southern CT State University, New Haven
- University of Connecticut, Hartford
- University of Connecticut, Stamford
- University of Connecticut, Storrs
- University of Connecticut, Waterbury
Transit systems participating in the U-Pass CT program include:
- CTtransit statewide (including CTtransit Express and CTfastrak)
- Greater Bridgeport Transit
- Norwalk Transit
- Housatonic Area Regional Transit
- Milford Transit
- South East Area Transit
- Windham Region Transit District
- Magic Carpet
- Northwestern CT Transit District
- 9 Town Transit
- Middletown Area Transit
- The program also includes train travel on Shore Line East and the New Haven Line operated by Metro-North for service up to the state line – not valid for travel to NY or on Amtrak. **It is NOT accepted on the I-Bus Express from Stamford to White Plains.
How to Use:
Have your U-Pass and valid student ID ready when you board any of these services.
Conditions of Use:
- U-Pass CT valid for use by students enrolled at UConn and participating CT State Colleges & Universities. Eligibility to obtain a U-Pass is determined by the college or university.
- U-Pass CT is valid for unlimited rides within Connecticut on local & express buses, CTfastrak, Shore Line East, and intrastate New Haven Line services. It can be used daily on weekdays and weekends, including holidays.
- This pass is not refundable or transferable.
- Valid student ID from participating college or university must be shown at time of pass use.
- Do not fold, bend, or place near magnet. Lost, stolen, or destroyed passes should be reported to issuing school.
- U-Pass CT valid for the period of time printed on the face of the pass. The spring semester U-Pass covers January 1, 2018 through July 31, 2018.
1. Who is eligible?
The U-Pass is available to full-time undergraduate students at participating UConn campuses and both full- and part-time credit undergraduate students at participating Connecticut State Colleges and Universities taking at least one class per semester on campus. UConn Avery Point campus and Quinebaug, Northwestern CT and Naugatuck Valley Community Colleges and Eastern and Western CT State Universities are not participating in the program in Fall 2017. In addition, at this time graduate students as well as exclusively online, noncredit and early college/high school students are not eligible for the program. Please refer to the list of participating schools.
2. For how long is the pass effective?
The spring semester U-Pass covers January 1, 2018 through July 31, 2018.
The fall semester U-Pass covers August 1, 2018 through December 31, 2018.
3. What is the cost?
Each student is charged $20 per semester for the pass. The CT Department of Transportation has set this special rate for UConn and Connecticut State Colleges and University students only; normal cost to the public is $63 for a 31-day local pass and more for express bus and rail services.
4. How do students get the U-Pass?
Students get their U-Pass directly from their college/university. UConn students should contact Transportation Services at upass.uconn.edu. Connecticut State Colleges and University students should contact their Bursar’s Office to obtain a pass.
5. What is required for students to use the U-Pass and on what types of transportation can it be used?
Students must present a valid student ID from their college/university every time they use the U-Pass for travel. Students can use the unlimited semester pass to travel within the state on rail or bus including CTtransit, CTtransit express and CTfastrak, but excluding Amtrak. Please refer to the list of participating transportation providers.
6. What happens if student attends multiple Connecticut State Colleges and University schools?
A student will only be charged once for the pass. Students will need to request a waiver from their second school after the payment of the first fee. Proof of the first payment will be required.
7. Does U-Pass work on Amtrak?
No. It is possible this will change in the future.